Favourite Rhubarb Cake recipe
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Rhubarb cake
A sweet, and wonderfully moist cake, using fresh rhubarb, with optional coconut and almonds! This cake disappears fast at our house.
70 people made this
- 250g finely chopped rhubarb
- 100g caster sugar
- 275g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 125g butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250ml buttermilk
- 40g desiccated coconut (optional)
- 50g finely chopped almonds (optional)
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 tablespoons dark brown soft sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter (50g)
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:40min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Grease and flour a 22x33cm (9x13 in) baking dish. In a small bowl, mix chopped rhubarb with 100g sugar; set aside. Sift together the flour, bicarb, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together 125g butter and 300g sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Fold in the rhubarb mixture. Stir in the coconut and chopped almonds (if using). Pour batter into prepared dish.
- To make streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons flour and 4 tablespoons brown sugar. Rub in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(39)
Reviews in English (33)
mmm so moist, easy to bake and lasted over a week in a air tight container; what little was left of it.I made mine with dairy- & wheat- free ingredience-09 Aug 2013
Oh So good warm with whip cream! Just as good the next day cold with coffee! I doubled the rhubarb & cut 1/2 cup sugar out. Topping was just enough. I didn't have any almonds so I put in a little almond extract. We love the tid bits of cocoanut. really makes this cake special. I only had one egg so I put in a t. baking powder and it is so light and fluffy I might do it this way every time! Real butter is a must if you want that rich taste. Oh, and the finished cake is very pretty with a golden brown top. Nice looking (quick and easy) company cake for us that have loads of rhubarb!-26 Aug 2004
Mmmmmmm, nummy! This is excellent. Still warm from the oven, and delicious. Would be good with some vanilla ice cream.I wouldn't have minded more rhubarb, but I used all that I had. Probably had more than the recipe called for too! I love rhubarb.The only changes that we made were: omitted nutmeg, almonds and coconut. (I'm out of nutmeg and almonds and my son didn't want coconut in it.) I also added 1/2 cup of flax meal for added nutrition. Oh, and I didn't have any buttermilk, so I added 1 tsp. vinegar to 1 cup of regular milk.-03 May 2005